Friday, November 20, 2009

Drakestail

Share

Drakestail was very little. But, tiny as he was, he had brains, for having begun with nothing he amassed a hundred crowns.

Now the King of the country made a personal visit to borrow his hoard. And, my word, Drakestail was more than a little proud of having lent money to the King! But after the first and second year, seeing they never even paid the interest, he became uneasy and resolved to go and see his Majesty.

So one fine morning Drakestail very spruce and fresh, headed down the road singing "Quack, quack, quack, when shall I get my money back?"

He had not gone far when he met his friend Fox. "Good-morning, neighbor," says friend Fox, "Where are you off to so early?"

"I am going to see the King for what he owes me."

"Oh! take me with thee!"

Drakestail said to himself, "One can't have too many friends." "I will," said he. "But make yourself quite small, get into my throat, go into my gizzard, and I will carry you."

"Happy thought!" said friend Fox.

He takes bag and baggage, and presto, he was gone like a letter into the post. Drakestail was off again, singing "Quack, quack, quack, when shall I get my money back?"

He had not gone far when he met his lady friend Ladder leaning on her wall. "Good-morning, my duckling," says the lady friend, "Where are you going so boldly?"

"I am going to see the King for what he owes me."

"Oh, take me with thee!" said friend Ladder.

Drakestail said to himself, "One can't have too many friends." I will!" said he. "But with your wooden legs you will soon be tired. Make yourself quite small, get into my throat, go into my gizzard, and I will carry you."

"Happy thought!" said friend Ladder. Nimbly, her bag and baggage goes to keep company with friend Fox. "Quack, quack, quack," Drakestail is off again, singing.

A little farther along and he meets his sweetheart, friend River. "There my cherub, why is my handsome so lonesome on this muddy road?"

"I am going to see the King for what he owes me." "Oh, take me with thee!" said friend River.

Drakestail said to himself, "One can't have too many friends." "I will," said he. "But you who sleep while you walk will soon be tired. Make yourself quite small, get into my throat, go into my gizzard, and I will carry you."

"Ah, happy thought!" said friend River. She takes bag and baggage, and glop, glop, glop, she takes her place between friend Fox and friend Ladder. Then "Quack, quack, quack," Drakestail is off again singing as before.

A little farther along he meets comrade Wasp's Nest, maneuvering his wasps. "Well, good morning Drakestail," said comrade Wasp's Nest, "Where are we bound for so spruce and fresh?"

"I am going to see the King for what he owes me."

"Oh, take me with thee!" said friend Wasp's Nest. Drakestail said to himself, "One can't have too many friends." "I will," said he. "But with your battalion to drag along, you will soon be tired. Make yourself quite small, get into my throat, go into my gizzard, and I will carry you."

"By Jove, that's a good idea!" said comrade Wasp's Nest. He took the same road to join the other with all his party. Drakestail was off singing, "Quack, quack, quack, when shall I get my money back?"

He arrived at the capital, and threaded his way straight up High Street till he came to the King's palace. He strikes the door with the huge knocker. "Who is there?" asks the porter, putting his head out of the wicket.

"Tis I, Drakestail. I wish to speak to the King."

"Speak to the King! That's easily said! The King is dining, and will not be disturbed."

"Tell him that it is I, and he knows well why I must see him."

The porter shut his wicket and went up to tell the King, who was just sitting down to dinner with a napkin round his neck with all his ministers. "Good, good!" said the King, laughing, "I know what it is! Make him come in, and put him with the turkeys and chickens."





The porter returned and said to Drakestail, "Have the goodness to enter." "Good!" said Drakestail to himself, "I shall now see how they eat at Court." "This way, this way," said the porter. "One step farther, a little more. There, there you are."

"How? What? In the poultry yard?" Imagine how angry Drakestail was! "Ah! So that's it!" said he. "Wait! I compel you to receive me. Quack, quack, quack, when shall I get my money back?"

The turkeys and chickens are creatures who don't like those that are not like themselves. When they saw the newcomer they rushed at him all together to overwhelm him with pecks. "I am lost!" said Drakestail to himself, when by good luck he remembered his comrade, friend Fox, and he cried, "Reynard, Reynard, come out of your earth, or Drakestail's life is of little worth."

Then friend Fox, who was waiting for these words, hastened out, threw himself on the wicked fowls, and scared them back to their corners. Drakestail, quite content, began to sing again, "Quack, quack, quack, when shall I get my money back?"

Well, the King who was still at the table heard this refrain, and was terribly annoyed and ordered them to throw this tail of Drake into the well! It was done as he commanded. Drakestail was in despair of getting himself out of such a deep hole, when he remembered his lady friend, Ladder.

"Ladder, Ladder, come out of thy hold, or Drakestail's day will soon be told." Friend Ladder, who was only waiting for these words, hastened out and leaned her two arms on the edge of the well. Then Drakestail climbed nimbly on her back and with a hop he was in the yard where he began to sing louder than ever.

When the King, who was still at the table laughing at the trick he had played on his creditor, heard him again reclaiming his money, he became livid with rage. He commanded that the furnace should be heated and this tail of Drake be thrown into it. The furnace was soon hot, but his time Drakestail was not so afraid; he could count on his sweetheart, River.

"River, River, outward flow, or to death Drakestail must go." Friend River hastened out, and threw herself into the furnace which she flooded. After that she flowed growling into the hall of the palace. Drakestail, of course quite content, begins to swim, singing deafeningly, "Quack, quack, quack, when shall I get my money back?"

The King was still at the table, and thought himself quite sure of his game; but when he heard Drakestail singing again, he became furious and got up from the table, brandishing his fists. "Bring him here, and I'll cut him to bits! Bring him here quick!" cried he.


The King's ministers tackled Drakestail and forced him into a serving dish. Deep in the dish Drakestail feverishly chanted, "Wasp's Nest, Wasp's Nest, call your battalion or Drakestail will soon be served up with scallions!"

My friend Wasp's Nest led the swarm to attack all enemy hands so they could not strike back! Unknown to the palace and all those inside, the King was allergic to Wasp's poisonous sting. Swollen and heavy he met his demise, and the ladies and gentlemen broke out in cries!

These cries were full of surprise and joy, for planted on the royal throne was the kingdom's Viceroy! They took the newly polished crown and placed it on that of Drakestail, whom it fitted like wax.

Thus he became King. "And now," said he after a special ceremony, "ladies and gentlemen, let's go to supper. I am so very hungry!"

No comments:

Post a Comment